Terms and conditions
Free Puppy and Kitten Health Cover
- This giveaway of Free Puppy and Kitten Health Cover (the free giveaway) is available only to individual pet owners who own puppies and kittens that are between 6 weeks and 20 weeks of age (inclusive).
- The free giveaway is not available to breeders or associations.
Period of free giveaway:
- The free giveaway commences on the date that your application is received by us, subject to our approval (the Commencement Date), and will expire on the day that is six weeks after the Commencement Date (the Expiry Date). You must submit any claims under this free giveaway to us within 30 days of the Expiry Date. Claims submitted after this period or claims arising before the Commencement Date or after the Expiry Date will be declined;
- You are under no obligation to apply for a Southern Cross Pet Insurance policy. However if you elect to apply for a Southern Cross Pet Insurance policy to take effect before the Expiry Date, any ongoing treatment required will be covered under the free giveaway benefits for the next 90 days, then full standard benefits of the selected policy will apply;
- If you elect to apply for a Southern Cross Pet Insurance policy after the Expiry Date, Southern Cross Pet Insurance will underwrite your policy with reference to your application and the facts that exist at the date of your application.
This free giveaway is non-transferable and is not redeemable for cash. All decisions by us in relation to this free giveaway shall be final. All correspondence and claims must be sent to Southern Cross Pet Insurance, Private Bag 3240, Waikato Mail Centre, Hamilton 3240 or phone: 0800 800 836.
Free giveaway terms and exclusions:
- Subject to the other terms, conditions and exclusions of the free giveaway, we will reimburse you for the costs of any medically necessary tests or treatment directly related to your pet’s injury or illness that are carried out in New Zealand between the Commencement Date and Expiry Date;
- Whether tests or treatment are medically necessary or not is at our entire discretion;
- We will pay up to a maximum sum of $1,500.00 (including GST) in aggregate for all valid claims accepted by us. For the avoidance of doubt, this means that our maximum liability to you under this free giveaway is $1,500.00;
- You will pay the first $100.00 (including GST) of each claim made for each separate illness or injury;
- When making a claim, you will need to provide itemised original tax receipts and medical history notes that state a diagnosis and treatment and must not have been otherwise paid or reimbursed under another insurance policy;
- If you provide us with false or misleading information or make a false or misleading claim, your cover under this free giveaway will end immediately and we will not be responsible or liable for any claim or payment of any kind to you whatsoever;
- Any costs (whether incurred by us, you, your veterinarian or otherwise) in relation to providing further information for a claim made by you under this free giveaway will be met by you;
- You must take appropriate care of your pet and promptly arrange for any treatment recommended by your veterinarian to prevent injury or illness;
We will not be responsible or liable for any claims, costs or losses of any kind relating to or as a consequence of:
- any illnesses (including any related clinical conditions, signs or symptoms of illness) arising before or within 7 days of the Commencement Date;
- any injuries (including any related clinical conditions, signs or symptoms of injury) arising before the Commencement Date;
- any pet that is less than 6 weeks old or more than 20 weeks old at the Commencement Date;
- prophylactic or preventative tests or treatment;
- tests, treatment or drugs that are not directly related to an injury or illness;
- general health improvers, all food (including prescription food and dietary supplements) and all parasite control (for ticks, fleas, mites, worms and similar) or any condition related to these parasites (including, but not limited to Demodectic mange);
- equipment (including, but not limited to Elizabethan collars);
- vaccinations or neutering;
- your acts or omissions (whether wilful, accidental, negligent or otherwise);
- cremation, burial or postmortem;
- house calls or other visits and any travel costs relating to these;
- laboratory test courier costs;
- extra costs for treating your pet outside normal surgery hours, unless your veterinarian advises that an emergency consultation is medically necessary;
- the destruction of a pet pursuant to an order of the court or any law or regulation;
- natural disaster, war, riot, revolution or any similar event;
- medical misadventure;
- inherited or congenital defects;
- dentistry, unless as a direct result of an accident;
- cosmetic surgery of any kind (including, but not limited to dew claws, tail docking or tattooing);
- Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP), Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV) or parvovirus;
- umbilical hernias; and
- damage or injury to any person or property caused by you or your pet.
- In these terms and conditions you/your means the owner of the pet notified to us in your application and we/us/our means Southern Cross Pet Insurance (which is a product and brand of Southern Cross Benefits Limited).