Great value everyday insurance
Accident-only plans starting from less than $1 per day*
|Cats||$17.08 $24.65 $34.40 $37.49||$0.56 $0.82 $1.14 $1.24|
|Dogs||$28.96 $40.25 $53.25 $55.55||$0.96 $1.34 $1.77 $1.85|
It’s easy to apply for your 6 weeks of free cover. Subject to our approval, your puppy or kitten will be covered for injury from the time we receive your application. There’s a 5-day stand down period for illness. Read the terms and conditions for more detail.Apply for free cover now!
Summer is coming and in New Zealand with our temperate climate and extended fur-families, that means flea season.
If you’re worried about running an Air Flea n Flea this summer and scratching your head (among other places) with what to do, here are a few ideas.
Spring clean before those fleas start springing
Adult fleas only account for 5% of the population. The other 95% are eggs, larvae or pupae and they live in bedding, carpet, soft furniture and floor boards.
Start by giving pet bedding a hot wash, and then go to town with the vacuuming. Pay attention to all the low traffic areas like skirting boards, inside wardrobes, under drawers, behind doors etc.
Vacuuming can help you get rid of the majority of eggs, while the vibrations encourage what’s left to hatch. That might seem like a bad idea, but once they’re adults they’re a lot easier to get rid of.
Treat your pets quickly
If your pets are showing signs of being an all-you-can-eat buffet for munching fleas, start treatment immediately.
You might want to get your vet’s advice too, because not all products do the same job. Flea collars only repel the pests, while something like Bravecto is absorbed into your pet’s bloodstream. When a flea bites your pet, the flea dies rapidly.
Once treated with an effective product, your pet becomes a furry vacuum, attracting fleas and quickly dealing with the problem.
Be patient and vigilant
In average New Zealand conditions, it can take up to 3 months to rid your house of a flea population. If you’re still struggling to get on top of the problem after that time, you might want to consider talking to an exterminator.