Make sure your garden is free of these dangers to keep your pet safe and happy.
Thanks to their curious nature, dogs can sniff, lick and chew their way into a case of poisoning or injury in the blink of an eye. And cats aren’t immune to mischief! Make sure your garden is free of these dangers to keep your pet safe and happy.
Common garden dangers
Depending on what you’re tossing in the compost bin, it could be hazardous for your pet.
Blood and bone fertilisers are appealing to dogs; however they can cause vomiting.
Slug, snail and rat bait
Baits are tasty for pets but toxic if ingested.
Many gardening tools, like rakes, are sharp and can easily cause puncture wounds, then the cuts can cause tetanus.
Plant poisoning is fairly common for pets. It helps to be aware of which plants in your garden and neighbourhood can be harmful. Remove any toxic plants, or put them out of reach of pets
Plants to watch out for
- Black nightshade
- Deathcap mushroom
- New Zealand tree nettle (Onga Onga)
- Daffodils (especially the bulbs)
- Ivy (some species)
- Aloe Vera
- Onions and garlic
- Baby’s Breath (Gypsophila)
- Bird of Paradise
- Tomato Plant (green fruit, stems and leaves)
- Tradescantia zebrina
- Barley Grass seeds
What to do if you suspect poisoning
Signs of poisoning
- Excessive salivation
- Racing or irregular pulse
- Rapid breathing
- Cold extremities