How may Southern Cross use information about you and your pet?
You authorise us to use information about you and your pet for the following purposes:
- to consider your pet’s eligibility for cover under the policy;
- to consider the specific terms applying to the policy (including any pre-existing conditions);
- to administer the policy;
- to consider whether any qualifying treatment is eligible for cover under the policy;
- to contact you from time to time, including within a reasonable time of your pet ceasing to be covered by the policy, with information about products and services relating to us, other ‘Southern Cross’ branded businesses, and our business partners;
- to conduct analysis and research;
- to compare with information about you held by our business partners, so we can provide you with information about relevant products and services relating to us or our business partners;
- to process, investigate and review any claims made and or paid (including historical claims);
- to prevent, detect and investigate any fraud including where in our reasonable opinion we suspect any fraud; and
to comply with laws and regulations.
Who may Southern Cross collect information about you and your pet from?
- You authorise us to collect information about you and your pet for the above purposes, directly from:
- you (e.g. via the application form and claim form);
- your vet;
- a previous Southern Cross Pet Insurance (formerly known as Ellenco) policy (including previous application(s), certificate(s) of insurance and or claims);
- ‘Southern Cross’ branded businesses and our business partners; and
- any other third party authorised by you.
You also authorise the disclosure of such information by such parties for any of the above purposes.
Who may Southern Cross disclose information about you and your pet to?
You authorise us to disclose information about you or your pet for the above purposes, directly to:
- your vet;
- any third party authorised by you;
- other ‘Southern Cross’ branded businesses and our business partners; and
- any other party as required by law.
Is the information we hold about you and your pet secure?
We endeavour to protect your information from loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure and or misuse in accordance with the Privacy Act. Please note we may also record calls for training and audit purposes and for dispute resolution.
How can you access and correct your information?
You are entitled to have access to and request correction of any of your personal information held by us. Please contact us on 0800 800 836.
We endeavour to ensure that the information we collect, store, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up to date. Prompt notification of any changes to your contact details will help us to do this.
From time to time Southern Cross may send you marketing and other information electronically such as by email or text message. If you have provided your email address or mobile phone number we take this as your implied consent to us doing this. If you wish to withdraw your consent at any time please contact us.
If you do not provide us with your information, what then?
If the information provided to us is not accurate or complete we may not be able to process the application or claim, or it may result in us not being able to provide your pet with cover until accurate and complete information is provided. The consequences of providing incomplete, false or misleading information are set out in your policy document.
Need more information?
If you have any queries about the privacy of information held by us and or our Privacy Statement, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your information is collected and held by Southern Cross Medical Care Society, Level 1, Ernst & Young Building, 2 Takutai Square, Auckland 1010.
Version updated December 2015